- 3.5 lbs. small zucchini (and yellow squash), cut into noodle strips with a spiralizer or mandolin (I used organic from Costco)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste (I used DeLallo’s Sweet Tomato Basil Paste, but you can use regular tomato paste)
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto (I buy at Costco)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or more to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Make the squash and zucchini noodles using a spiralizer.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and saute the zucchini noodles until tender, stirring regularly, about 2-3 minutes. Lightly salt and pepper; set aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until translucent. Set aside.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, cook the ground turkey until light brown, about 5 minutes. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste, prepared pesto, and tomato paste to the meat and mix together.
- Add in the onion and mushroom mixture to the meat; gently stir and heat on low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the sauce over the zucchini noodles. Sprinkle with Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and Parmesan cheese.