- 2 (10 – 11 oz each) boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 4 avocado slices (from a firm but ripe large avocado)
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Tbsp balsamic glaze (I used Bertolli)
- 1/3 cup chopped basil ribbons
- In a bowl mix together garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sprinkle mixture evenly over both sides of each chicken cutlet. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken (cover pan with a splatter screen if you have one) and cook until golden brown on bottom, about 4 – 6 minutes. Rotate and cook opposite side until chicken has nearly cooked though, reducing burner temperature just slightly if needed, about 4 – 5 minutes (it should be nearly 160 in center on an instant read thermometer) then add two slices of mozzarella to the top each cutlet, followed by one avocado slice, and 1 – 2 tomato slices. Cover pan with lid, return to heat and allow to cook 1 – 2 minutes longer until cheese has melted and chicken registers 165 in center.
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper, drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve warm.